The town of Blyth is not a very old town like its big neighbour
Newcastle. When Blyth became the Borough of Blyth in 1922 the motto
on its coat of arms was 'We Grow by Industry'. The town began its
'modern' life in the mid-nineteenth century as a port, and as the
port developed, so did the town. The land surrounding the port was
owned mainly by the Ridley family and the trustees of the Thoroton
and Croft estate. These three names can still be found in the names
of streets and some of the buildings.One of the earliest industries
here was shipbuilding and of course, mining. Both are long gone,
but still remain in the minds of the older generation. As
technology changed, mines got deeper and ships got larger, so Blyth
expanded. The focus of the town moved from the quayside as land
became available, the river that flowed through the town was piped
and the land reclaimed. This visual history will show you how much
has changed in Blyth through time.
Is the information for this product incomplete, wrong or inappropriate?
Let us know about it.
Does this product have an incorrect or missing image?
Send us a new image.
Is this product missing categories?
Add more categories.
Review This Product
No reviews yet - be the first to create one!