"Health for Life "provides the keys necessary for adopting
healthy habits and committing to healthy living in high school and
throughout the life span. The text covers all of the components of
personal well-being, including physical, mental, emotional, social,
and spiritual health. It provides students the knowledge in making
healthy choices and fosters the skill development required for
taking healthy actions.
"Health for Life" helps students in these ways:
- Analyze how key influences affect their health and wellness,
such as family, peers, media, and technology
- Explore consumer topics and use appropriate resources to find
answers to challenging questions
- Sharpen their interpersonal communication skills as they share
health knowledge; debate controversial topics; demonstrate refusal,
negotiation, and refusal skills; manage interpersonal conflicts;
and promote healthy living among their peers
- Use decision-making skills and apply healthy living skills as
they identify solutions to problems posed
- Evaluate their own health habits as they relate to a variety
- Create goals for behavior change and establish plans for
- Communicate health information with family and advocate for
healthy living at home and in their communities
- Discover how health and technology intersect on various
The text is divided into seven units of 20 chapters. The
chapters help students explore a range of topics, including mental
health, nutrition, physical activity, stress management, healthy
relationships, avoiding destructive habits, and making good health
choices throughout life.
"Health for Life" has an abundance of features that help
students connect with content in personal ways and retain the
information. Here's a glance at some of those features:
- Lesson Objectives, Lesson Vocabulary, Comprehension Check, and
Chapter Review help students prepare to dive in to the material,
understand it, and retain it (standard NHES 1).
- Connect spurs students to analyze various influences on their
health and wellness (standard NHES 2).
- Consumer Corner aids students in exploring consumer health
issues (standard NHES 3).
- Healthy Communication gets students to use and expand their
interpersonal communication skills as they share their views about
various health topics (standard NHES 4).
- Skills for Healthy Living and Making Healthy Decisions help
students learn and practice self-management so they can make wise
choices related to their health and wellness (standard NHES 5).
- Planning for Healthy Living assists students in applying what
they've learned as they set goals and establish plans for behavior
change (standard NHES 6).
- Self-Assessment offers students the opportunity to evaluate
their health habits and monitor improvement in health behaviors
(standard NHES 7).
- Take It Home and Advocacy in Action prepare students to
advocate for health at home and in their communities (standard NHES
- Health Science and Health Technology focus on the roles of
science and technology as they relate to health and where science
and technology intersect regarding health issues.
- Living Well News challenges students to integrate health
literacy, math, and language skills to better understand a current
In addition, "Health for Life" is reinforced by its online
resources for teachers and students. Following are highlights of
these two invaluable resources.
Teacher Web Resource
The Teacher Web Resource contains the following:
- Complete lesson plans; the first three lessons have a
corresponding PowerPoint slide show
- An answer key to all worksheets and quizzes
- A test package that includes tests for each chapter; tests
consist of multiple-choice, true-or-false, fill-in-the-blank, and
short essay questions
All lesson plans and assessments support identified learning
objectives. Each lesson plan includes these features:
- Preparing the Lesson (lesson objectives and preparation)
- Bell Ringer (a journal question for students, or a quiz or
activity to begin class)
- Lesson Focus (main points of the lesson paired with a student
- Lesson Application (main activity paired with a worksheet)
- Reflection and Summary (lesson review)
- Evaluate (student quiz or test or worksheet review)
- Reinforcing the Lesson (Take It Home and Challenge
Student Web Resource
The Student Web Resource contains these features:
- All worksheets, quizzes, and other materials referred to in
the lesson plans
- Vocabulary flip cards and other interactive elements from the
- Expanded discussion of selected topics that are marked by web
icons in the text
- Review questions from the text, presented in an interactive
format for students to fill out to check their level of
Delivering the content that will help students value and adopt
healthy lifestyles, and loaded with the features and online
resources that will help students understand and retain the
content, "Health for Life" promises to be one of the most crucial
texts for students today.