Kingston upon Hull Corporation's motorbus fleet was always varied
and interesting. The azure and white streamline livery is well
known but was one of five actually carried. Buses were initially an
adjunct to the trams serving areas away from the radial tram
routes, but they were instrumental in serving the new council
estates of the 1920s and 1930s that were beyond the tram
boundaries. A standardisation policy was in place by the coming of
war in 1939. Forty-six buses were lost, as well as the central bus
garage in May 1941, while many others were damaged here and at
dispersal sites. Buses were borrowed or purchased while fourteen
'unfrozen' buses were received as well as thirty-nine Guy Arabs.
The period following the Second World War saw the arrival of 102
AEC Regents as the backbone of the fleet, but many wartime buses
were given pre-war bodies from AECs and Daimlers or rebuilt.
Second-hand buses came from Newcastle, St Helens, Leicester and
Nottingham in the 1960s. The acquisition of 241 Leyland Atlanteans
enabled it to be totally one-man operated from 12 November 1972.
This book tells the story of Hull Corporation's motorbus fleet.
Is the information for this product incomplete, wrong or inappropriate?
Let us know about it.
Does this product have an incorrect or missing image?
Send us a new image.
Is this product missing categories?
Add more categories.
Review This Product
No reviews yet - be the first to create one!