Discover the remarkable woman behind the legend.
Discover Christine Jorgensen's remarkable, inspirational journey to
become the woman she always knew she should have been. Becoming a
Woman: A Biography of Christine Jorgensen provides fascinating
insights about the woman who opened doors?and minds?on behalf of
sexual minorities. This book chronicles Christine's drive, ability
to solve problems, immense determination, and just plain luck as
she transformed herself into her true gender?and reveals facets of
her personality previously undisclosed by other biographies of her
Christine Jorgensen was a major contributor to the unfolding of the
so-called sexual revolution in America. Becoming a Woman: A
Biography of Christine Jorgensen is the story of one courageous
individual overcoming personal and social barriers, enduring the
difficult compromises that needed to be made, and the ultimate
realization of goals. This revealing warts-and-all biography tells
Christine's real story while examining the history of
transsexuality in western societies, the medical intervention
provided to her, and insightful profiles of Alfred C. Kinsey,
Georges Burou, Harry Benjamin, and Christian Hamburger. The
appearance and characteristics of cross dressers are also
discussed, as well as their lifestyles are contrasted with
transsexual persons. This biography serves to illustrate the
challenge to lessen discrimination against all LGBT persons?and the
struggle that still lies ahead.
Becoming a Woman: A Biography of Christine Jorgensen explores:
- the supportive and high functioning family in which Christine
- Jorgensen's struggle with homosexual feelings deemed
unacceptable by society
- Jorgensen's young adult years while presenting as a man
- the steps in his/her transsexual self-identification
- Jorgensen's determination to redefine himself/herself through
- why Dr. Christian Hamburger in Copenhagen took an interest in
- the previously unrevealed story of Jorgensen's revelations to a
news reporter that led to international headlines
- how Jorgensen developed a profitable nightclub act
- the conflicts that accompanied the writing and publication of
- Jorgensen's love/hate personality characteristic and its effect
on personal relationships
- much more
Becoming a Woman: A Biography of Christine Jorgensen is
eye-opening, thought-provoking reading perfect for transsexuals and
prospective transsexuals; those who identify as gay, lesbian,
bisexual, or as cross dressers; mental health professionals;
sociologists; educators; students; social workers; civil rights
attorneys; and cultural anthropologists.
Is the information for this product incomplete, wrong or inappropriate?
Let us know about it.
Does this product have an incorrect or missing image?
Send us a new image.
Is this product missing categories?
Add more categories.
Review This Product
No reviews yet - be the first to create one!